About the role
Aboriginal Identified Position: We are looking for a Disability Support Worker of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent to join our Supported Independent Living (SIL) team to work across our houses in Perth metro. The successful applicants will provide practical assistance to a person/s with complex needs and behaviours to help them achieve their personal goals and manage everyday tasks. This vacancy will suit people looking for work the Baldivis / Rockingham area
Our new team members must be both adaptable and flexible and have demonstrated experience working with clients with challenging behaviours.
You must have significant experience delivering 1:1 disability support and ideally have worked with clients with a variety of disabilities including; physical, intellectual and psycho-social disabilities.
Successful candidates will be available for a minimum of 3 shifts per week (day shift, shift night and weekends) and be available to take shift cover at short notice.
Once you are in the casual pool you will be prioritised for permanent lines when they become available.
- Support clients to work towards achieving their individual aims
- Support in day to day living, promoting cooking, housekeeping, hygiene, shopping etc.
- Encourage independence and support with personal care (when applicable)
- Liaise and collaborate with clients, their community and community support agencies
- Monitor and review client’s progress through the service and against the case plan
- Utilise positive behaviour strategies
- Maintenance of progress notes and record keeping
Skills & Experience
- Experience working with clients with complex needs and behaviours, physical and intellectual disabilities.
- Epilepsy support and midazolam administration training (advantageous)
- Good computer literacy and administration skills to complete progress notes and use online IT systems.
- Unrestricted Australian Drivers Licence
- Current “Provide First Aid” Certificate (mandatory prior to offer)
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check, NDIS Screening Clearance and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the position). You are also required to provide a COVID vaccination certificate or exemption.
Life Without Barriers considers that being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent is a genuine occupational requirement as outlined in section 25 of the Anti-Discrimination Act (1991) and permitted as a 'special measure' under section 8 of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth) and by articles 1(4) and 2(2) of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
Please note: To be considered for and appointed to a position at Life Without Barriers, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a minimum of two (2) doses or hold a valid medical exemption certificate, in accordance with Life Without Barriers Employee COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. You will be required to provide evidence of your vaccination status during the recruitment process.
- Opportunity to work for one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
- Career development opportunities
- Salary packaging tax benefits
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact email@example.com
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 8,000 employees working in more than 500 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
Empowering people with disability to live life the way they choose is at the heart of how Life Without Barriers has operated for over 25 years. This is an exciting opportunity to join our team and continue this mission. Support people with disability to have the choice, control, and independence to live their best life. If you’re passionate about inclusivity, respect, and making a meaningful difference, this is the career move for you.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.