Mental Health Support Worker, Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
Job no: 494676
Employment type: Part Time
Categories: Disability, Mental Health
- Support people living with mental health to be part of their local community
- Permanent Part Time roles based in Darwin
- Ongoing training and mentoring support provided
About the role
You will be supporting our Identified male clients living in the community with complex mental health needs and social and emotional wellbeing support needs.
The role of the support worker is to work with people and their support networks to provide a range of support including but not limited to;
- Direct support with cooking
- Accessing the community
- Managing behaviours of concern
- Medication Management and health related supports
- Supporting people to develop and meet their own individual goals
- Supporting people to remain connected to their culture, kin and community
- Supporting people to find positive community connections
Please note: Our core business is providing 24/7 support to people in their own homes. Therefore, the successful applicants for this Permanent Part Time role will be required to work across a range of shifts including active night shifts, weekends and public holidays.
Skills & Experience
- Unrestricted Australian Drivers Licence – Ideally have but not essential
- Certificate III in Community Welfare, or similar, or willingness to complete this within the first 2 years of employment
- Current First Aid & CPR Certificate (or willingness to obtain at your own cost)
- Ideally have experience working with complex behaviours
- Ideally have experience supporting people with complex Mental Health needs
- Prior experience writing shift reports and incident reports but not essential
- Passionate about delivering Person-Centred care
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
The Employer considers that being male is a genuine occupational qualification for this position under Section 27 (2), (c), (e) and (g) of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984.
Life Without Barriers considers that being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent is a genuine occupational requirement as outlined in State and Territory legislation and permitted as a ‘special measure’ under section 8 of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth) and by articles 1(4) and 2(2) of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
- Opportunity to work for one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
- Flexible roster arrangements
- Competitive hourly rate and salary packaging options
- Training and mentoring support
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact email@example.com with the subject heading ‘Mental Health Support Worker. Darwin’
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications may be reviewed prior to the closing date; and as such the closing date is subject to change without notice. Current application closing date is the 25th September 2020
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: AUS Central Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend