Disability Support Worker. Permanent Part Time - Box Hill South
Job no: 499349
Employment type: Part Time
Empowering people with disability to live life the way they choose is at the heart of how Life Without Barriers has operated for over 25 years. This is an exciting opportunity to join our team and continue this mission. Support people with disability to have the choice, control, and independence to live their best life. If you’re passionate about inclusivity, respect, and making a meaningful difference, this is the career move for you.
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose organisation of 8,000 employees working in more than 500 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers. Join a community of people dedicated to breaking down barriers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role
Are you a person who seeks to inspire, empower and support individuals with a disability to have better lives? We are looking for a positive, experienced and committed support worker to assist our client to achieve her best life. Our client is in her 50’s, she loves social outings, walks in the park, community singing groups, arts and crafts, having a coffee and swimming. Our client lives alone and requires support in her home with all aspects of daily living, support shifts are 1:1.
- Provide quality direct 1:1 support to service users in line with their support needs, the program they are accessing, and all support plans including the service users Individual Plan
- Increase the service users’ skills through independence, personal growth and development through the provision of active support and their enhanced participation as a valued member of their community
- Implement development programs and identify and support learning opportunities for service users
- Assist in the delivery of programs that facilitate service users’ development of social networks and inclusion in community activities
- Actively provide residents with night time routine and support as required.
- A. Uphold my rights - Understand and respect my rights. Speak up if my rights are not respected.
- B. Communicate effectively - Support me to express myself and adjust your communication style to suit me.
- C. Build trusted relationships - Develop and maintain relationships with me, and those who are important to me, based on mutual trust and respect.
- D. Work collaboratively - Recognise the roles and expertise of others who support me, and work with us as a team.
- A. Show self-awareness - Think about how your actions and attitudes impact on the quality of support you provide, seek feedback, and keep improving your practice.
- B. Work within your capabilities - Know your role and responsibilities, and when to seek support from others to develop your capabilities.
- C. Look after yourself – we assist you to manage your wellbeing.
Working to facilitate the delivery of high quality services and achieve positive outcomes with and for our female resident. Our resident is best supported in quiet environments and likes to be included in decision making regarding what activities she would like to be involved in she also enjoys predictable stable routines. Experience with autism is essential. The resident support needs vary in terms of levels of independence, including engagement in community participation. The team are experienced staff and are ready and willing to provide positive mentoring support.
Skills and Experience
- Certificate IV in Disability or equivalent Disability related qualification
- A current Senior First Aid (level 2) Certificate
- A current unrestricted Driver Licence
- Experience supporting people with Autism
- Ability to work unsupervised, support shifts are 1:1
- A commitment to supporting and promoting the individual needs, skills, abilities and personal goals of people with disabilities
- The ability to develop a positive relationship with service users and to support their Individual Personal Plan
- •Pay rates starting from $25.68 per hour + penalty rates
- •Non-profit salary packaging benefits with Maxxia and other employee discounts
- •On-going training opportunities in a supportive and collaborative team environment
- •We are an organisation that champions diversity, inclusivity, and equality
- •An opportunity to work for one of Australia's largest social purpose organisations
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any general enquiries including requests to view the roster line prior to applying; (not applications) including persons with disability that require adjustments please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Midnight Sunday 3rd July 2022
To be considered for and appointed to a position at Life Without Barriers, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or hold a valid medical exemption certificate. You will be required to provide evidence of your vaccination status during the recruitment process.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend