About the Organisation
Every day, Life Without Barriers provides support and care to children and young people, as we work collaboratively with families, carers, and communities, to ensure they have the environment they deserve to grow. With a focus on ensuring safety and respect, this is an opportunity to make a positive and meaningful difference in these young lives and help pave a brighter future.
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose organisation of 8,000 employees working in more than 500 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers. Join a community of people dedicated to breaking down barriers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the Role
Part Time and Casual positions available in the Hunter Region, joining out Intensive Therapeutic Care - Significant Disability program, you will provide trauma informed, therapeutic care and support to children and young people (CYP) living in 24/7 residential care who have backgrounds of trauma, abuse and neglect as well as physical and/or psychosocial disability.
You will be required to actively participate in activities that increase the competencies and independence of the children and young people and will need to have a strong understanding of the impacts of abuse, neglect, separation from family and trauma on children and young people.
Successful candidates will be expected to work across locations and have flexibility to work a variety of shifts across a 24/7 roster which may include active nights, sleepovers, weekends and public holidays.
- Provide daily care and supervision to children and young people with disability
- Encourage community engagement to support and increase life skills
- Implement and monitor individual care plans, including medication, hygiene, and meal management
- Support the involvement of family
- Assist with personal care, manual handling, and hoist use
- Apply a therapeutic care approach and therapeutic crisis intervention (TCI) system
- Maintain progress notes and report writing
Skills & Experience
- Diploma in Community Services, Youth Work or similar
- Candidates with relevant experience who are working towards or willing to enrol in a relevant diploma will be considered
- Experience working with Children and Young People in out of home care or intensive therapeutic care settings
- Confidence working with people with disability
- Confidence working with challenging behaviours
- Ability to assist with activities of daily living including personal care
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Unrestricted NSW Driver Licence
At Life Without Barriers we value your passion and commitment to providing support to some of the most vulnerable children and young people who are in our care. In return for the amazing work that you do, we want to invest in you. If you do not already hold a relevant qualification or you are partially completed a Diploma, Child, Youth & Family Intervention, together with our preferred Registered Training Organisation, you will complete a Diploma, Child, Youth & Family Intervention at no cost. You will also be provided with various training opportunities which will enable you to deliver the best support as well as provide you with growth, development and career opportunities within one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations.
Please note: Mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations may be required for this position, in accordance with relevant Public Health Orders across all States and Territories. In these circumstances, evidence of vaccination will be required prior to an offer of employment.
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check.
- Hourly rate from $32.54 per hour (dependent on qualifications)
- Salary packaging benefits
- Ongoing training and support
- Opportunity to complete a Diploma of Child, Youth and Family Intervention
- Career development opportunities nationally
- Work for one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
Please note that this role is referred to as an Intensive Therapeutic Worker, Significant Disabilities internally.
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact Kestra Caller at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. If you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Applications close at midnight on Wednesday the 15th of December, 2021 (AEST)
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)