Advanced Disability Support Worker - DDSO2A - FT Ongoing Box Hill eastern Suburbs
Job no: 493293
Employment type: Full Time
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role
This role is responsible for providing support and information for people with disabilities, across their lifecycle and in all domains of life, to enable access to a quality life with dignity, respect and social inclusion in the least restrictive environment. You may work in the group home, respite, residential facilities and the community providing outreach services and in-service support roles including intake/response and case management.
- Located in Box Hill - Supporting the House Supervisor to provide best practice support, supervision and mentoring to other team members
- Provide direct support to people with disabilities, to participate in a range of life areas (including social, recreational and daily living activities) based on the goals of individual support plans.
- Advocate for people with a disability to improve client outcomes and achieve desired goals
- Engage with people living with a disability, and their family to provide information and knowledge from which to develop and maintain client support plans (including health specific or positive behaviour plans for people with complex needs).
- Provide information, advice and referral, where required, to crisis intervention services for people with a disability, their families, carers and/or service providers.
- Manage a caseload that comprises people with a disability, their families and carers (under professional supervision).
- Develop, implement, monitor and review client support plans (under professional supervision).
- Coordinate and negotiate with family members, health services, activity providers, and other community services to help meet daily client needs and/or to plan support for future client requirements.
- Under general direction, undertake more complex direct care functions or contribute to the design and implementation of a range of plans where appropriate.
- Advanced Diploma in Disability Work/Community Welfare, Bachelor of Applied Science (Disability), registered or eligibility to be registered as a Mental Retardation Nurse or equivalent
- Current Employee Working with Children Check (WWCC)
- Level 2 First Aid Certificate
- Full driver’s licence
Key Skills & Experience
- Proven experience working within a disability support environment with
- Strong Interpersonal and communication skills with the demonstrated ability to: empathise and confirm an understanding of others position and needs and expresses own views in a constructive and diplomatic way; reflects on how own emotions impact on others.
- Positive Stakeholder management skills: responds to clients’ needs; keeps the client or stakeholder up-to-date with issues and developments;
- Self-management: accepts responsibilities for own actions; focuses on the most important goals; has a realistic and balanced view of own strengths and weaknesses; recognises own feelings and personal prejudices and understands why they occur
- Advanced computer skills
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact email@example.com
Applications close at midnight on 10th December
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend