- Work for a leading social purpose organisation
- Supporting children in foster care and residential care
- Located in Kalgoorlie
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 8,000 employees working in more than 500 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
Every day, Life Without Barriers provides support and care to children and young people, as we work collaboratively with families, carers, and communities, to ensure they have the environment they deserve to grow. With a focus on ensuring safety and respect, this is an opportunity to make a positive and meaningful difference in these young lives and help pave a brighter future.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the Role
This is a challenging but rewarding opportunity for you to make a positive difference in the lives of the children our organisation supports through our Out of Home Care Program.
As a Residential Support Worker, your role will be to provide care and support to children who have been placed into the care of Life Without Barriers.
The role will be supporting children in a family group home setting in Kalgoorlie with a team of staff committed to seeing the best outcomes for our young clients.
You must have experience or an understanding of working with children who have experienced trauma and at times, demonstrate challenging behaviours.
You will be supported by a larger care team and ongoing training will be provided.
Shifts will include:
- After school and sleepover shifts with school drop off in the morning.
- Full day shifts if a child is not at school
- Day shift and night shift on the weekends.
*Casual staff need to be available to cover a variety of shifts at short notice but have flexibility with how many shifts they pick up each week.
- Provide quality direct support to children in our care in line with their support needs and all support plans relevant to the care they are receiving
- Day to day care in a home setting (support with getting ready for school, preparing meals, caring for the children in the home, activities and sports)
- Establish rapport and collaborate effectively with children and their families to achieve positive outcomes
- Develop and deliver programs to support the children in consultation with internal and external stakeholders and care teams.
- Monitor the changing needs of children and work collaboratively with the care team to contribute to the adaptation of LWB services as required to meet these needs.
- Maintenance of progress notes and record-keeping.
Skills & Experience
- Certificate in Community or Children's Services (advantageous but not essential)
- Ability to build rapport with kids through sports or games and hobbies
- A current Senior First Aid Certificate (or willing to obtain during background checks)
- A current unrestricted Drivers Licence
- A commitment to supporting and promoting the individual needs, skills, abilities and personal goals of the people we support
- Good communication skills including the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders (including families of service users)
- The ability to build relationships with diverse cultural groups and to work within frameworks considerate of cultural needs
Mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations are required for this position, in accordance with relevant Public Health Orders across all States and Territories. In these circumstances, evidence of vaccination will be required prior to an offer of employment.
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check, Working with Children Check and Child Protection Clearance.
- Work for one of Australia's largest social purpose organisations
- Life Without Barriers offers ongoing training, support and career advancement opportunities
- Ongoing professional developing and training opportunities
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Sunday 16th of October
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA