About the Organisation
Empowering people with disability to live life the way they choose is at the heart of how Life Without Barriers has operated for over 25 years. This is an exciting opportunity to join our team and continue this mission. Support people with disability to have the choice, control, and independence to live their best life. If you’re passionate about inclusivity, respect, and making a meaningful difference, this is the career move for you.
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose organisation of 8,000 employees working in more than 500 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers. Join a community of people dedicated to breaking down barriers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role
We are looking for multiple Disability Support Workers to join the casual workforce across the Eastern, & South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
**Please note – there will be a separate advert for North Eastern suburbs casuals as well. You do not need to apply for both.
In the South East we are looking for casuals to work in across our Group homes across suburbs such as St. Kilda, Bentleigh, Brighton, Chadstone Hampton & Mount Waverley.
In the Eastern region we are looking for people to work casually in our Group homes across Mitcham, Doncaster, Mont Albert, Blackburn & Box Hill.
Even if you do not have direct disability support experience, we want to hear from you. You will be responsible for providing support with activities of daily living and developing, implementing and monitoring Individual Plans’. You will also work to facilitate the delivery of quality services and achieve positive outcomes with clients. This role involves working with a multitude of varied environments and clients, some with complex high medical needs and behaviours. We will eb screening applicants regularly and inviting selected applicants to attend virtual group assessment centres & interviews.
- Provide quality direct support to service users in line with their support needs, the program they are accessing, and all support plans including the service users Individual Plan.
- Increase the service users’ skills through independence, personal growth and development through the provision of active support and their enhanced participation as a valued member of their community.
- Implement development programs and identify and support learning opportunities for service users
- Assist in the delivery of programs that facilitate service users’ development of social networks and inclusion in community activities.
Skills & Experience
- A current Senior First Aid (level 2) Certificate.
- A current unrestricted Driver Licence.
- A commitment to supporting and promoting the individual needs, skills, abilities and personal goals of people with disabilities.
- The ability to develop a positive relationship with service users and to support their Individual Personal Plan.
In order to be compliant, successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including a National Criminal History Record Check, the NDIS workers screening and an International Criminal History Record Check; if you have resided for 12 months or more outside of Australia in the last 10 years. (where relevant to the role) and a current Victorian Driver's Licence is essential.
In accordance with the Victorian Public Health Order, mandatory vaccination are required for this position. Where applicable, evidence will be requested at probity check stage.
- Work for one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
- Life Without Barriers offers ongoing training, support and career advancement opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- Great opportunity to establish a career within a stable, growing and well recognised, forward thinking, services provider with an excellent remuneration package including Salary Sacrificing Benefit
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any general enquiries (not applications) including persons with disability that require adjustments please contact email@example.com
If you aren't sure if you have the right experience, please reach out to discuss your background.
Applications close at midnight Sunday 23rd October.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Life Without Barriers supports calls for disability Royal Commission | Life Without Barriers (lwb.org.au)