About the Organisation
Empowering people with disability to live life the way they choose is at the heart of how Life Without Barriers has operated for over 25 years. This is an exciting opportunity to join our team and continue this mission. Support people with disability to have the choice, control, and independence to live their best life. If you’re passionate about inclusivity, respect, and making a meaningful difference, this is the career move for you.
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 8000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role
Provide active, person centred support to people with disability in either Short Term Accommodation (STA) or Lifestyle Support settings in Canberra. We have Permanent Part Time and Casual positions available for Disability Support Workers with experience supporting clients with complex behaviours and health needs and whom have a passion for making a different in the lives of those with Disability.
As part of this role, you will be working in Braddon and the surrounding areas supporting people who live in new, specialist-built apartments. You will provide a range of services that support our clients to achieve their individual goals including community access, mentorship and assistance with activities of daily living such as personal care, meal preparation and cleaning.
It is essential that you hold a current Australian Drivers Licence & have access to a reliable vehicle that you can use for work purposes. You must be available to work a minimum of 3 days per week, with most shifts occurring between the hours of 6am – 10pm each day. However, some overnight or sleepover work may be required.
- Follow individual support plans, behaviour support plans and health care plans
- Provide a range of in-home and community based supports that enable our clients to live independently and achieve their goals
- Maintain and monitor a client’s support plan whilst modelling a person-centred approach at all times
- Identify and support a range of learning opportunities for our clients
- Track and document an individual’s progress through detailed note keeping
Skills & Experience
- Current Australian Drivers Licence
- Current First Aid and CPR Certificate
- Previous experience supporting People with Disability, behaviours of concern/or mental health highly regarded
- Previous experience and confidence in providing personal care
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting and engaging with low and high support clients
- Proven success managing and monitoring challenging behaviours
- Strong communication skills with the ability to build and maintain positive relationships
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check, NDIS Working screening check & ACT Working With Vulnerable Persons Card.
Please note: Mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations may be required for this position, in accordance with relevant Public Health Orders across all States and Territories. In these circumstances, evidence of vaccination will be required prior to an offer of employment.
- An opportunity to start a rewarding career with one of Australia's leading social purpose organisations
- Access to Salary Packaging benefits and claim up to $15,900 in tax free earnings
- On-going training opportunities and a supportive team environment
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact Kestra Caller at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Applications close at midnight on Wednesday the 17th of August, 2022 (AEST)
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)