About the Organisation
Empowering people with disability to live life the way they choose is at the heart of how Life Without Barriers has operated for over 25 years. This is an exciting opportunity to join our team and continue this mission. Support people with disability to have the choice, control, and independence to live their best life. If you’re passionate about inclusivity, respect, and making a meaningful difference, this is the career move for you.
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose organisation of 8,000 employees working in more than 500 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers. Join a community of people dedicated to breaking down barriers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Disability Support Worker to join our team in this highly sought-after Part-Time/Full-Time opportunity. You will be responsible for providing support with activities of daily living and developing, implementing and monitoring Individual Plan’s.
You will also work to facilitate the delivery of quality services and achieve positive outcomes with clients. This role involves working with clients with various complex medical needs and behaviours, which will require the successful applicant to work independently. This role is an ongoing, part time position - 44/39.5 split
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Contribute to the day-to-day running of the house
- Manual Handling
- Develop planned activities in line with departmental policies and guidelines
- Liaise with family members, medical services, departmental services and external services to help meet client needs
- Develop, implement, monitor and review a range of client support plans, with oversight from senior staff, using knowledge of client need, preferences and interests
- Provide quality direct support to clients in line with their support needs, the program they are accessing, and all support plans including Individual Plans
- Administer medication treatments and therapies according to prescribed protocols or otherwise, seek appropriate medical assistance
- Implement development programs and identify and support learning opportunities
Skills & Experience
- Certificate IV in Disability or equivalent Disability related qualification
- A current Senior First Aid (level 2) Certificate
- A current unrestricted Driver Licence
- A commitment to supporting and promoting the individual needs, skills, abilities and personal goals of people with disabilities
- The ability to develop a positive relationship with service users and to support their Individual Personal Plan
- Experience in supporting those with Mental Health disorder
- Experience in supporting those with Intellectual Disabilities
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience and knowledge in technology (use of computers, phones, ipads)
- In accordance to the Public Health Order mandatory vaccination may be required based on where you live or where you may work. Evidence of this will be required at probity check stage.
In order to be compliant successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including a National Criminal History Record Check and an International Criminal History Record Check; if you have resided for 12 months or more outside of Australia in the last 10 years. A Working with Children Check is also required (where relevant to the role) and a current Victorian Driver's Licence is essential.
- Work for one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
- Life Without Barriers offers ongoing training, support and career advancement opportunities
- Flexible working hours
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any general enquiries, inclusive of a copy of the roster, (not applications) including persons with disability that require adjustments please contact Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close at midnight on the 10th of December, 2021.
Please note: Mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations may be required for this position, in accordance with relevant Public Health Orders across all States and Territories. In these circumstances, evidence of vaccination will be required prior to an offer of employment.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)