Empowering people with disability to live life the way they choose is at the heart of how Life Without Barriers has operated for over 25 years. This is an exciting opportunity to join our team and continue this mission. Support people with disability to have the choice, control, and independence to live their best life. If you’re passionate about inclusivity, respect, and making a meaningful difference, this is the career move for you.
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose organisation of 8,000 employees working in more than 500 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers. Join a community of people dedicated to breaking down barriers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply
About the role
We are seeking for multiple advanced Disability Support Workers to provide services to a person in Pennington suburb. The roles will be filled on a casual basis.
In these roles you will provide person centred support to enable access to a quality life with dignity, respect and social inclusion in the least restrictive and a safe environment.
You will be required to demonstrate previous experience working with behaviours of concern and people requiring mental health supports, and have strong knowledge of relevant legislation as well as excellent skills in communicating effectively with a diverse group of key stakeholders.
These roles will require successful applicants to be available and willing to work within a 24/7 roster that includes regular shift work, including passive shifts, weekends and public holidays.
- Provide direct support to clients with complex needs, to assist with daily living (including personal care) based on the goals of individual support and care plans.
- Advocate for people with a disability to improve client outcomes and achieve desired goals by engaging with clients and their families.
- Provide information, advice and referral, where required, to crisis intervention services for people with a disability, their families, carers and/or service providers.
- Maintain and monitor client support plans
- Documenting and Progress Note keeping
- Maintain high level of integrity and regard for professional boundaries, confidentiality and ability to maintain sensitive information.
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated experience working within disability support with clients with medical and behavioural complex needs
- Strong Interpersonal and communication skills demonstrating empathy and understanding of clients' needs and showing ability to expresses thoughts and ideas in a constructive and diplomatic way both orally and in written formats
- Positive Stakeholder management skills: responsive to clients’ needs including maintaining positive communication with clients and stakeholders
- Current Drivers Licence
- Minimum Certificate III in Individual Support (Disability, Mental Health) or similar; a Certificate IV in Disability or Mental Health is desirable
- Current First Aid Certificate
Successful candidates will be required to undertake probity checks including a National Criminal History Record Check and an NDIS Worker Screening Clearance.
- Salary Packaging providing tax benefits available for living and entertainment expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available
- Supportive culture and team environment
- Work for one of Australia's largest Social Purpose organisations
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact email@example.com
The position closes on Sunday 24th of October 2021
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA).