About the Organisation
Every day, Life Without Barriers provides support and care to children and young people, as we work collaboratively with families, carers, and communities, to ensure they have the environment they deserve to grow. With a focus on ensuring safety and respect, this is an opportunity to make a positive and meaningful difference in these young lives and help pave a brighter future.
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose organisation of 8,000 employees working in more than 500 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers. Join a community of people dedicated to breaking down barriers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the Role
Joining our Intensive Therapeutic Care – Significant Disabilities program in the Grafton Region you will be responsible for providing therapeutic care and support to children and young people with trauma backgrounds, complex needs and disability living in 24/7 residential out of home care.
You will be required to actively participate in activities that increase the competencies and independence of the children and young people and will need to have a strong understanding of the impacts of abuse, neglect, separation from family, and trauma on children and young people.
- Implement, and monitor individual plans for young people including case plan activities, safety plans and behaviour support plans
- Provide day to day care, supervision and transport to children and young people alongside a team of professionals supporting the young person
- Actively participate in recreational, educational and therapeutic activities and increase competencies of young people to work toward their goals
- Mentoring of young people
- Creation of progress notes every shift and incident report writing
- Support the involvement of family and encourage young people to connect with their family members with the goal of repairing the relationships
- Transport of young people to activities and appointments, including supervising family contact, medical and therapeutic appointments
- Model good hygiene practices and ensure the home environment is maintained
- Model positive routines and provide structure with purposeful activity planning that will enrich a young persons life
Skills & Experience
- Minimum Diploma level education in Social Work, Psychology, Community Services, Youth Work or similar is preferred
- Candidates working towards or willing to enrol in a relevant Diploma who have relevant experience will be considered.
- A current First Aid Certificate
- A current NSW unrestricted Driver Licence
- Flexibility to work various shifts (including weekends and nights) across a 24/7 roster
- Demonstrated ability to work with young people with complex trauma experiences including emotional and mental health instability
- Experience working in residential care or carer environment with young people
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated understanding of a trauma informed care approach to working with people
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with young people
At Life Without Barriers we value your passion and commitment to providing support to some of the most vulnerable children and young people who are in our care. In return for the amazing work that you do, we want to invest in you. If you do not already hold a relevant qualification or you are partially completed a Diploma, Child, Youth & Family Intervention, together with our preferred Registered Training Organisation, you will complete a Diploma, Child, Youth & Family Intervention at no cost. You will also be provided with various training opportunities which will enable you to deliver the best support as well as provide you with growth, development and career opportunities within one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations.
Please note: Mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations may be required for this position, in accordance with relevant Public Health Orders across all States and Territories. In these circumstances, evidence of vaccination will be required prior to an offer of employment.
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check.
- Hourly rate from $32.54 per hour (dependent on qualifications)
- Salary packaging benefits
- Opportunity to complete a Diploma of Child, Youth and Family Intervention at no cost
- Do work that matters and make a positive impact in your local community
- Career development opportunities nationally
- Work for one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
Please note that this role is referred to as an Intensive Therapeutic Worker, Significant Disabilities internally.
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact Kestra Caller at email@example.com
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. If you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Applications close at midnight on Wednesday the 15th of December, 2021 (AEST).
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)