Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of over 7,000 employees working in more than 530 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
What are your goals? If they are any one of the below, we have the opportunity you may have been looking for:
- A career that is stimulating, rewarding and uniquely satisfying with a path for further development and personal growth
- Work in a supportive team environment, making a positive impact in the lives of clients actively living with a disability and support them to achieve the goals that matter to them
- A position which offers stability in a sector which is evolving and consistently looking to be more responsive to our clients’ needs by being creative, respectful and courageous
We are currently looking to recruit a Disability Development & Support Officer (DDSO1/1Q) for the house team, situated in Malvern East. In this role you will work as part of a team to provide support and information for people with disabilities, across their life cycle and in all domains of life, to enable access to a life of dignity, respect, and social inclusion in the least restrictive environment
You will be responsible for providing support with activities of daily living and developing, implementing and monitoring Individual Plan’s including personal care. In this role you will work to facilitate the delivery of quality services and achieve positive outcomes with and for the clients within the house. This role involves working with 4 clients who have high medical support needs.
The house profile: The house services 4 clients with high medical support needs and high general support needs. All clients are non-verbal and non-ambulant. There is manual handling and peg feeding within this house. This house is situated in the gorgeous suburb of Malvern, surrounded by restaurants, cafes, and Chadstone. Monash University and local reserves are not too far away as well.
Assistance and support are required with meal planning and preparation, domestic chores and community access.
This is a part-time ongoing position, the roster details outlined as fortnightly hours is detailed below:
- Fortnight 1: 37:30
- Fortnight 2: 37:30
The roster consists of 1 sleepover per fortnight and 1 weekend shift per fortnight. A more detailed roster can be provided upon request.
- Contribute to the day-to-day running of the house
- Develop planned activities in line with departmental policies and guidelines
- Liaise with family members, medical services, departmental services and external services to help meet client needs
- Develop, implement, monitor and review a range of client support plans, with oversight from senior staff, using knowledge of client need, preferences and interests
- Provide quality direct support to clients in line with their support needs, the program they are accessing, and all support plans including Individual Plans
- Administer medication treatments and therapies according to prescribed protocols or otherwise, seek appropriate medical assistance
- Implement development programs and identify and support learning opportunities
Qualifications & Experience Required:
- Certificate IV in Disability or equivalent Disability related qualification
- A current Senior First Aid (level 2) Certificate
- A current unrestricted Driver Licence
- A commitment to supporting and promoting the individual needs, skills, abilities, and personal goals of people with disabilities
- The ability and willingness to develop a positive relationship with the clients and a desire to support their Individual Personal Plans
- Experience working with clients with high medical needs that require support with Peg Feeding
- Experience and understanding of manual handling
- Work for one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
- Life Without Barriers offers ongoing training, support, and career advancement opportunities
- Great opportunity to establish a career within a stable, growing and well recognised, forward thinking, services provider – with a remuneration package including Salary Sacrificing Benefit
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any general enquiries (not applications) including persons with disability that require adjustments please contact email@example.com
Applications close at Midnight on the 4th July 2021.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)