Disability Support Worker. Casual - Wollongong
Job no: 496340
Employment type: Casual
Location: Wollongong, Illawarra & South Coast
Categories: Disability, Child, Youth & Family, Mental Health
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 8,000 employees working in more than 500 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people, and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless, refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the Role
We have two opportunities available to join our Supported Independent Living teams in Wollongong as a Disability Support Worker. In this role your goal will be to empower our clients by helping them to live independently and achieve their goals. Due to the nature of this work, we ask that applicants are available for a variety of shift work across a 24/7 roster.
In our first vacancy, we are specifically looking for people who can provide person-centred support to our client living with a trauma background and autism. Prior experience following positive behaviour support plans and deescalating behaviours of concern will be highly regarded.
In our second vacancy, we are looking for people who are dedicated, values oriented, and people focused. Some experience with challenging behaviours is required but mainly we expect suitable applicants will be confident building rapport and can respect our clients.
- An hourly rate for $35.51 per hour + super and penalty rates
- We are an organisation that champions diversity, inclusivity, and equality
- An opportunity to work for one of Australia's largest social purpose organisations
- Non-profit salary packaging benefits with Maxxia and other employee discounts
- On-going training opportunities in a supportive and collaborative team environment
- Follow person-centred support plans and behaviour support plans respectfully
- Participate in community activities and encourage clients to perform daily living tasks
- Track and document an individual’s progress through thorough record keeping
- Build and maintain positive relationships with our clients and their families
Skills & Experience
- An unrestricted New South Wales driver’s licence
- A current First Aid Certificate, which includes the course HLTAID003 or HLTAID011
- Commitment to a 24/7 roster, including active night shifts & weekends
- A Certificate III in Disability/Community Services or relevant transferrable skills
Successful candidates will be required to clear all state-based probity checks; including but not limited to a National Criminal History Record Check and NDIS Worker Screening Check.
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact Zali Kakko at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday the 30th of May 2021 (AEST).
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect, and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend