Senior Youth Worker. Permanent Full Time- Ipswich
Job no: 496019
Employment type: Full Time
Categories: Child, Youth & Family
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability experience to apply.
About the Role
Guided by the six principles of the CARE model, the Senior Youth Worker provides direct care and mentoring of children and/or young people with a wide range of responsibility for specialised program activities, child/young person development and supervision, and promotion of a safe environment. Activities may take place in community settings or in the child or young person’s home.
Our Senior Youth Workers are required to have extensive experience supporting people with complex trauma and pain-based behaviours including; drug use, engaging in risk taking and possibly socially isolating behaviour. The Senior Youth Worker will also provide guidance and support to Youth Workers and actively work together in a unified approach to meet the needs of the young person. You will also be responsible for the administrative and reporting requirements for the house.
Our Child, Youth and Family program in Ipswich supports children and young people within a Residential service (aged between 12-17) who present with high complex needs; including high medical needs, mental health, disability, emotional and complex behavioural issues. Our ideal candidate will work closely with other staff to assist young people to heal from their trauma and achieve their potential whilst planning for permanency.
Due to the nature of the role, you will be required to work a rotating roster. Shift work will include afterhours work, sleepover shifts and weekend work (penalties included).
Please note: This is a full time position, 38 hours per week.
- Form and maintain professional, nurturing relationships with children and young people by building trust through visible interest and active engagement
- Act as an appropriate adult role model, seeking to engage young people in purposeful activities aimed at developing life skills and self-worth
- Support the involvement of family and where applicable, facilitate family visits/connection and the promotion of positive family relationships with children and young people, to suit individual needs
- Promote and encourage positive relationships with peers and other persons significant to the child/young person
- Assist the child/young person to participate as full as possible in making decisions about the activities undertaken
- Personal care as required
Skills & Experience
- Experience working with, or a willingness to engage in training for, supporting young people who have a disability and complex health needs including enteral feeds, epilepsy and other chronic illness
- Either hold or be actively working towards a Certificate IV in Child, Youth and Family Intervention (Residential Care) or a recognised relevant qualification.
- Valid unrestricted Australian drivers’ licence.
- Reliable vehicle you are willing to use for transporting clients to and from appointments.
- Valid Senior First Aid Certificate and CPR Certification.
- Be willing to hold and maintain 3rd party insurance on the vehicle and ensure your vehicle is regularly serviced
- Complete Hope and Healing Framework Foundations prior to starting
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
- Rewarding role with extensive opportunities for professional development
- Competitive hourly rate and access to salary packaging through Maxxia
- Ongoing career opportunities
- Hope & Healing bonus of $300 in recognition for completing all 10 modules prior to starting your first day
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications may be reviewed prior to the closing date; and as such the closing date is subject to change without notice. Current application closing date is the Sunday 7th March, 2021.
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend