Residential Youth Worker (Significant Disability). Part Time and Casual - Wollongong
Job no: 495857
Employment type: Casual, Part Time
Location: Wollongong, Illawarra & South Coast
Categories: Disability, Child, Youth & Family, Mental Health
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,500 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the Role
Full time opportunity in Wollongong for a residential youth worker with experience working with children and young people with trauma background and physical and psychosocial disabilities.
The successful candidate will have previous experience working in youth work, mental health and/or disability, a strong understanding of mental health and the impacts of trauma, as well as confidence working with challenging behaviours and providing assistance with activities of daily living including personal care, medication administration and the use of hoists.
You will be required to work a rotating 24/7 roster that may include active overnight shifts and weekend shifts.
- Daily care, supervision and transport for children and young people with disability and trauma
- Actively participate in activities and encourage community engagement
- Develop, implement and monitor individual plans
- Follow medication, hygiene and meal management plans
- Crisis intervention management
- Lifting, manual handling and hoist use
- Provision of personal care
- Support the involvement of family
- Maintenance of progress notes and report writing
Skills & Experience
- Experience in working with people with physical and psychosocial disability
- Experience working with Children and Young People with trauma backgrounds
- Confidence working with challenging behaviours
- Ability to assist with activities of daily living including personal care
- Diploma in Community Services, Youth Work or similar
- A current First Aid Certificate
- A current unrestricted NSW Driver Licence
- Ability to work various shifts (sleepover & active nights) throughout the week
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check.
- Work for one of Australia's largest social purpose organisations
- Salary packaging benefits through Maxxia
- Flexible working hours
- Hourly rate from $31.75 per hour + superannuation (dependent on qualifications)
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact Kestra Caller at email@example.com
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. If you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Applications close at midnight on Wednesday the 10th of March, 2021
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend