- Casual role available for Chinese speaking support worker
- Flexible roster arrangements | Competitive hourly rate & salary packaging options
- Location | South Brisbane to Inala
About the role
You will actively support local community members, both children and adults up to 64 years of age, who are living in their own homes, but who need support to maintain their independence and wellbeing.
Your role is to provide practical assistance and emotional support to enable clients to become more independent in managing their disability, mental health, complex medical conditions and/or post-operative recovery. This will see you offering a variety of in-home support, including housekeeping, meal preparation, personal care, and meal preparation.
As part of their community connection support, you may be assisting with shopping, attending appointments, social outings and finding local support networks in their community (e.g. neighbourhood centre, local library and/or church group).
This role will service the South Brisbane to Inala area and you will be required to travel to your client appointments, so a car and valid driver’s licence is essential.
You will be supporting a number of clients per day, generally across standard business hours, Monday to Friday.
- Assist clients to regain functional capacity and improve their independence, according to their identified needs and goals, and to fully recover where possible
- Operate from a wellness framework, building on the client’s strengths and focusing support in line with the client’s goals and aspirations as a path to greater independence and quality of life
- For in-home support:
- undertake housekeeping duties in line with Policies and Procedures such as (but not limited to) dusting, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, washing dishes, cleaning surfaces, emptying bins fridges and freezers, washing and ironing clothes, changing bed linen, cleaning toilets and bathrooms, and any other housekeeping duties as identified in the client’s support plan
- undertake personal care including medication assistance, assisting the client with showering, bathing, eating, toileting, grooming and any personal care needs, as identified in the client’s support plan
- For community connections, support assist the client with developing local support networks, accessing community support services, accessing programs and activities which improve their quality of life
- Administer basic first aid as required
- Activities performed in line with LWB HSE Policies and Procedures as required
Skills & Experience
- Certificate III in Individual Support (Aged Care/Home and Community Care/Disability) or similar – Essential
- Fluent in Chinese - Essential
- A current unrestricted Australian drivers’ licence - Essential
- A reliable vehicle with minimum 3rd party insurance - Essential
- A current First Aid and CPR Certificate, or willingness to obtain before commencement - Essential
- Excellent customer service skills and a person-centred framework
- Have a mobile phone for work purposes
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,300 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander or CALD backgrounds and people with disability to apply.
- Opportunity to work for one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
- Learning and development opportunities, applicable to the role
- Flexible roster arrangements
- Competitive hourly rate and salary packaging options
- Reimbursement for work related expenses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Ongoing training
- Travel club membership, discounted health insurance & discounted vehicle servicing to mention a few
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact Claire.Caughey@lwb.org.au and, in the heading, please type ‘QCSS – South Brisbane to Inala’
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications may be reviewed prior to the closing date; and as such the closing date is subject to change without notice. Applications close at midnight on 12th March 2021.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)