Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of over 7,000 employees working in more than 530 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
What are your goals? If they are any one of the below, we have the opportunity you may have been looking for:
- A career that is stimulating, rewarding and uniquely satisfying with a path for further development and personal growth
- Work in a supportive team environment, making a positive impact in the lives of clients actively living with a disability and support them to achieve the goals that matter to them
- A position which offers stability in a sector which is evolving and consistently looking to be more responsive to our clients’ needs by being creative, respectful and courageous
We are currently looking to recruit a Disability Development & Support Officer (DDSO1/1Q) for the house team, situated in St Kilda. In this role you will be responsible for providing support and information for people with disabilities, across their life cycle and in all domains of life, to enable access to a life of dignity, respect, and social inclusion in the least restrictive environment
You will be responsible for providing support with activities of daily living and developing, implementing and monitoring Individual Plan’s including personal care. In this role you will work to facilitate the delivery of quality services and achieve positive outcomes with and for the client within the house. This role involves working with clients with various complex behaviours and will involve sleepovers and split shifts.
The house profile: The house services 5 clients with varying levels of complex behavioural and medical support needs. This house is situated in the gorgeous suburb of St Kilda, surrounded by restaurants, cafes, beach, Luna Park and other attractions and amenities. Assistance and support are required with meal planning and preparation, domestic chores and community access. The residents enjoy a range of activities both within the house and in the
This is a part-time ongoing position, the roster details outlined as fortnightly hours is detailed below:
- Fortnight 1: 55
- Fortnight 2: 55
- Contribute to the day-to-day running of the house
- Develop planned activities in line with departmental policies and guidelines
- Liaise with family members, medical services, departmental services and external services to help meet client needs
- Develop, implement, monitor and review a range of client support plans, with oversight from senior staff, using knowledge of client need, preferences and interests
- Provide quality direct support to clients in line with their support needs, the program they are accessing, and all support plans including Individual Plans
- Administer medication treatments and therapies according to prescribed protocols or otherwise, seek appropriate medical assistance
- Implement development programs and identify and support learning opportunities
Qualifications & Experience Required:
- Certificate IV in Disability or equivalent Disability related qualification
- A current Senior First Aid (level 2) Certificate
- A current unrestricted Driver Licence
- A commitment to supporting and promoting the individual needs, skills, abilities and personal goals of people with disabilities
- The ability to develop a positive relationship with service users and to support their Individual Personal Plan
- Previous experience working in an environment with Autistic clients highly regarded
- Ability to apply behaviour management strategies in a complex and challenging environment
- Work for one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
- Life Without Barriers offers ongoing training, support, and career advancement opportunities
- Great opportunity to establish a career within a stable, growing and well recognised, forward thinking, services provider – with a remuneration package including Salary Sacrificing Benefit
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any general enquiries (not applications) including persons with disability that require adjustments please contact email@example.com
Applications close Midnight 18th May 2021.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)