Disability Support Worker. Casual - Wollongong
Job no: 495051
Employment type: Casual
Location: Wollongong, Illawarra & South Coast
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless, refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the Role
Working as a Disability Support Worker in Wollongong, you will be responsible for providing support to our clients with disability. At Life Without Barriers we strongly encourage our Disability Support Workers to assist our clients to live independently and achieve their goals.
The successful applicant will have demonstrated experience supporting clients who display behaviours of concern and are confident working autonomously and in a team. In particular, this client will require someone who is familiar with 1:1 support, interested in making and playing music and can confidently observe and monitor changes in a client’s behaviour. This casual position will also require the successful candidate to be flexible for a variety of shifts across a 24/7 roster; this includes active night shifts and weekends.
- Follow individual support plans, behaviour support plans and health care plans
- Participate in community activities within a Supported Independent Living environment
- Maintain and monitor a client’s person-centred support plan
- Identify and support a range of learning opportunities for our clients
- Track and document an individual’s progress through thorough note keeping
Skills & Experience
- Certificate III in Disability, Community Welfare, or similar
- A current First Aid Certificate
- An unrestricted NSW Driver’s Licence
- The ability to work flexibly around a 24/7 roster, including active night shifts
- The confidence to maintain service user privacy and confidentiality
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting and engaging with low and high support clients
- Proven success managing and monitoring challenging behaviours
- Strong communication skills with the ability to build and maintain positive relationships
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check.
- An opportunity to work for one of Australia's largest social purpose organisations
- An hourly rate from $34.93 per hour + super
- On-going training opportunities
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact Zali Kakko at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday the 29th of November 2020.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement here (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend