Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Counsellor - Port Augusta
Job no: 494066
Employment type: Part Time
Location: Whyalla & Eyre Peninsula
Categories: Child, Youth & Family, Mental Health
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for qualified Alcohol & Other Drug Counsellor to join Life Without Barriers’ specialist drug and alcohol treatment program, with the position based in Port Augusta. This is a part-time role (0.8FTE) available from 29th June 2020 until June 30th 2023, with potential for extension.
The AOD Counsellor will provides 1:1 and group support options which aim to reduce AOD related harms to individuals. The counsellor conducts assessments and provides a range of counselling interventions to assist clients to change harmful behaviours and increase their capacity to effectively manage the problems they are experiencing associated with AOD use and promote recovery.
A minimum qualification of Cert IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs is required. Qualifications to undertake Police Drug Diversionary Interventions will also be considered favourably. You will also require a current Driver Licence and a current DHS/DCSI Working With Children clearance.
Skills & Experience
- Diploma/Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience in counselling individuals using a range of intervention techniques
- Demonstrated knowledge of a range of therapeutic approaches to support individuals with substance abuse problems
- Demonstrated interpersonal/communication skills, including verbal, written and negotiation
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse cultural backgrounds with specific reference to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective networks and relationships
- Ability to work independently and within a regional multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to use initiative and think laterally and strategically as well as well-developed problem- solving skills
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
- Work within a team passionate about facilitating positive changes for people
- Life Without Barriers is one of Australia's largest not-for-profit organisations operating throughout Australia.
- Great salary packaging benefits
- Ongoing training, support and career opportunities
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click 'Apply' and follow the prompts.
For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact Manon Timmermans at email@example.com
Applications close at midnight on 12th July
We are dedicated to playing our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and bring continuity of care and support to our clients. With this in mind, if you are successful, we will discuss with you an alternative to a face to face interview.
Advertised: Cen. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: Cen. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend