Residential Support Worker- Child, Youth and Families
Job no: 493609
Employment type: Casual
Categories: Child, Youth & Family
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role
Guided by the six principles of the CARE model, the purpose of the Residential Support Worker is to provide direct care of children and/or young people. Applying a relationship-based approach, the Residential Support Worker has responsibility for program activities, child/young person development and supervision, and promotion of a safe environment.
Because of the life experiences and trauma histories that the children and young people in our care bring, this role must not only provide adequate safety and supervision but must be actively engaged in building positive relationships and solving problems as part of a team. An incumbent in this role must offer energy, safety, flexibility and commitment in their work with children and young people through genuine, caring and sensitive engagement.
- Form and maintain professional, nurturing relationships with children and young people by building trust through visible interest and active engagement
- Act as an appropriate adult role model, seeking to engage young people in purposeful activities aimed at developing life skills and self-worth
- Support the involvement of family and where applicable, facilitate family visits/connection and the promotion of positive family relationships with children and young people
- Promote and encourage positive relationships with peers and other persons significant to the child/young person
- Assist the child/young person to participate as full as possible in making decisions about the activities undertaken
- Provide daily care, supervision and transport to children and young people in our care within a therapeutic framework.
- Contribute to the home being a place that is emotionally and physically safe, nurturing, and appropriately engaging and stimulating, to foster growth and resilience.
- Care for program facilities and equipment: organising, cleaning, sanitising. Perform household tasks and duties as assigned or as needed to promote a clean, safe and comfortable environment.
Skills & Experience
- Certificate III in Community Services or similar
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Current Drivers Licence
- Demonstrated understanding of child development and ability to describe when they have intervened to promote development
- Demonstrated knowledge of complex trauma and its effects on children and young people and how this impact on their behaviour
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
- Work for one of Australia’s largest social purpose organisations
- Join a growing team
- Casual positions available
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close at midnight on day, 7 days from advertising
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: AUS Central Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend