Domestic and Family Violence (DFV) Counsellor
Job no: 493291
Employment type: Full Time, Part Time
Location: Townsville & Northern QLD
Categories: Child, Youth & Family
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the Role
Based in Charters Towers, the DFV Counsellor is responsible for delivering face to face counselling to Women and Children affected by Domestic and Family Violence.
This position is being offered on a drive in / drive out basis from Townsville or surrounding areas. The successful applicant will be required to be in Charters Towers approximately 3 days per week to complete 17 hours of counselling and 7 hours of administration.
LWB will provide a Tool of Trade Vehicle and Fuel Card (reasonable personal use allowed) and accommodation in Charters Towers.
- Establish and maintain effective networks and relationships with other service providers and local agencies to promote the service and develop referral pathways
- Provide specialist one to one domestic and family violence assessment and counselling services to referred consumers
- Support consumers to access legal information, advice and referrals
- Provide counselling to children and young people experiencing or at risk or experiencing domestic and family violence
- Facilitate the discussion with clients to assist them to achieve their goals, and promote links to networks and community inclusions
- Maintain effective record keeping on all clients including the maintenance of comprehensive databases, and regular and timely updating of all client files
Skills & Experience
- Minimum Certificate IV in Counselling, Domestic and Family Violence, or similar (essential)
- Demonstrated experience in counselling individuals using a range of intervention techniques
- Demonstrated knowledge of a range of therapeutic approaches to support individuals who have experienced Domestic and/or Family Violence
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse cultural backgrounds with specific reference to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Ability to develop and maintain effective networks and relationships
- Ability to commit to/and maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Current driver's licence
- Experience in child protection and foster care systems (desirable)
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
- Opportunity to work for one of Australia's largest social purpose organisations
- Attractive remuneration package with access with salary packaging
- Flexible working arrangements on offer
How to Apply
Include your resume and covering letter in one document, click ‘Apply’ and follow the prompts. For any enquiries including persons with disability that require adjustments, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading ‘DFV Counsellor’
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend